Saturday, November 17, 2012

Musings

Serendipity. It means a "happy incident" or a "pleasant surprise". Perhaps a pleasant coincidence. Or a chance happening which turns out to have good consequences later on.

I've always been one to believe in serendipity, probably due to over optimism on the part of most humans. Say, if there were an 80% chance of a bad thing happening, most people would prefer to see it the other way, viz. that there is a 20% chance of a good thing happening. Don't bad things only happen to other people anyway? Well, events in the past few weeks have conspired to temper my over optimism in this respect. What I felt contained a high chance of progressing turned out to be a dud. Then again, if everything in life was serendipitous, nothing would ever be! Still, it pains me to see how misplaced my confidence was.

Would I have taken obvious first steps if I knew that she was seeing someone else at the same time?    On hindsight, I think I certainly would. I'm not one to give up without a fight, really, at least not nowadays. What will happen in the next few weeks? I can't say for sure. I think I need a heavy dose of healthy distractions. Pronto.

No comments: