Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Food and Life

Yes, yet another post on Suckmit Food. For dinner, I've lowered my expectations to the point that I would be content with an egg and a serving of chicken for dinner. But lo, and behold, at 6.45pm, there is effectively no more food being sold. I went to the Muslim food stall (which now segregates their food into a 'vegetarian' and 'non-veg' section, but both look very dubious), asked for rice, and was told that "我们没有白饭了,只有楚米饭". Wth!

Why do I even put up with such insalubrious food? I remembered a scene from this tvb drama, 强剑, where the main character Bosco ate many plain buns before undertaking a suicidal rescue attempt. When asked why he was eating even when he wasn't full, he simply replied that he needed the energy to fight, thus it didn't matter that he was not hungry now. This strikes a chord with me. I think life is analogous to a big battle with school, then work, then relations etc. However bad school food is, I guess we all have to eat to survive to fight out next battle.

Then again, would a mass boycott of the canteen work? What if the students rallied to not buy from the Summit for a week until they improve the quality of the food and decreased the prices even more?

"When freedom is outlawed, then only outlaws will have freedom"

No comments: